How do I properly handle leftover food?
When you’re handling leftovers:
· Divide large amounts of leftovers into small, shallow containers for quick cooling in the refrigerator.
· Do not pack your fridge - cool air must circulate to keep food safe.
· Remove stuffing from stuffed poultry or meats and refrigerate it in a separate container.
· Heat other leftovers thoroughly to 74°C (165°F).
· Bring leftover sauces, soups and gravy to a boil.
· Microwave leftovers with an approved lid or plastic wrap for thorough heating.
· Never taste food that looks or smells strange.
· If you’re not sure how long food’s been in your fridge it’s best to follow the ‘when in doubt throw it out’ rule.